I offer clinical consultation to adult, youth, family and group therapists, as well as to agency teams working with LGBTQ2S+ adults, youth and/or their families and loved ones. I have worked for the past 18 years with and within LGBTQ2S+ communities and have trained other mental health providers across Ontario about supporting trans/non-binary youth and their loved ones using an intersectional, trauma-informed, gender-affirming, attachment-focused lens. I currently offer clinical supervision for an LGBTQ2S+ day treatment program in Toronto and have supervised MSW students, those starting out in private practice, as well as more seasoned therapists.
I specialize in working with therapists who see or would like to see parents of trans/non-binary youth/young adults and who would benefit from clinical support and psycho-educational tools and approaches to do this work effectively. I also enjoy supporting therapists who are looking to shift their practices from being more ‘cognitively oriented’ to more ’embodied’ or ‘somatically oriented’. I have expertise supporting therapists who are
- supporting clients in early transition or questioning their gender identity / sexual orientation, and/or grappling with shame and/or fears about impact on family, parents, partners and children
- helping clients understand how mental health issues such as anxiety, depression and trauma symptoms intersect with lack of familial support, transphobia, transmisogyny, racism, anti-Blackness, homophobia, ableism etc.
- supporting clients to develop self compassion and work through shame, internalized bi-phobia, homophobia, transphobia, transmisogyny and racism
- conducting and writing surgical readiness assessment letters for transition related surgeries while engaging critically with cissexism (“OHIP second assessors”)
- supporting children and partners of trans/non-binary people through early transition
- helping clients build tools for self regulation and managing trauma symptoms; exploring their relationship with substances; exploring open relationships, polyamoury, kink and BDSM
My clinical orientation is attachment-focused, relational, mindfulness- and trauma-informed and my lens is feminist, intersectional/anti-oppressive/anti-racist, harm reduction- and sex-positive. I enjoy supporting therapists to engage with self-of-therapist issues that emerge in their practice.
I integrate learnings from neurobiology, my 18 years of doing trauma-informed individual, family and group work with marginalized youth, adults and families in mental health agencies, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (a mindfulness-based, somatic, attachment and trauma-focused modality – level 1 completed), Janina Fisher’s Trauma Informed Stabilization Treatment (a parts oriented approach that integrates structural dissociation theory, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy and IFS techniques – advanced training in process) and Attachment Based Family Therapy (advanced training completed, certification in process) into my consultation work.
I offer remote sessions on a secure video platform.
Please see my “Credentials and Trainings” page for more information about my background in these areas, or contact me to discuss whether your supervision or consultation needs fall within my scope of practice. I look forward to hearing from you.